Virginia Operation Lifesaver
About VA OL
What is Virginia Operation Lifesaver?
Virginia Operation Lifesaver (VAOL) is a public safety education and awareness organization dedicated to reducing fatalities, injuries and collisions at highway-rail crossings and trespassing on or near railroad tracks. VAOL promotes rail safety through public awareness campaigns, educational initiatives. Our volunteers speak to a wide variety of audiences; schools, communities, new and professional drivers, law enforcement and others.
Virginia Operation Lifesaver, Inc. was incorporated in 2002. It amended its name in April 2013 to Virginia/District of Columbia/Maryland Operation Lifesaver, Inc. It managed the entire region until June of 2018. Currently, Virginia Operation Lifesaver is administered by the Utility and Railroad Safety (URS) Division of the Virginia State Corporation Commission (SCC). The SCC is a constitutionally created department of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
VAOL is a part of the national nonprofit organization Operation Lifesaver, Inc. (OLI). The program is co-sponsored by state and local government agencies, highway safety organizations, railroads and other organizations. Together, we promote the three E’s of safety:
• Education: Operation Lifesaver strives to increase public awareness about the dangers around the rails. The program seeks to educate both drivers and pedestrians to make safe decisions at crossings and around railroad tracks.
• Enforcement: Operation Lifesaver promotes active enforcement of traffic laws relating to crossing signs and signals and private property laws related to trespassing.
• Engineering: Operation Lifesaver encourages continued engineering research and innovation to improve the safety of railroad crossings.
Free programs are presented to schools, businesses and civic organizations across the state. Programs can be geared towards new and professional drivers, law enforcement and first responders. Over 30 Operation Lifesaver Authorized Volunteers (OLAVs) provide presentations to educate children and adults about rail safety. To request a free presentation, or to learn more about Operation Lifesaver, contact us.
VA OL Safety Partners
VA OL Safety Partners
VAOL is fortunate to have several rail safety partners.
- CSX Transportation
- Federal Railroad Administration
- Hampton Roads Transit
- Norfolk Southern
- Virginia Department of Transportation
- Virginia Railway Express