Louisiana Operation Lifesaver
- About LA OL
- LA OL Events
- LA OL Safety Partners
- LA OL Statistics
- Become a Volunteer
- LA OL Board Members
- Louisiana Railroad Map
About LA OL
Louisiana Operation Lifesaver
Operation Lifesaver is a nonprofit public safety education and awareness organization dedicated to reducing collisions, fatalities and injuries at highway-rail crossings and trespassing on or near railroad tracks.
Operation Lifesaver wants you and your neighbors to be safe around tracks and trains! Our volunteer speakers are available, free of charge, to provide important safety information to professional truck and bus drivers, school bus drivers, drivers education classes, elementary school students, law enforcement and emergency responders among other groups.
Why is Operation Lifesaver Needed?
Sadly, every year people in Louisiana are killed or injured at highway-rail crossings and at other locations along railroad tracks.
Many people are unaware that trains cannot stop quickly to avoid collisions or, they take chances by ignoring warning signs and signals, going around lowered gates, stopping on tracks, or simply not paying attention when approaching highway-rail crossings. People also make the potentially fatal mistake of choosing railroad tracks as shortcuts or as places to walk or run for recreation. They may not realize that walking on train tracks is illegal, or understand how quickly and quietly a train can approach. Our safety tips can save your life – or the life of someone you love.
LA OL Events
|September 20th - 26th||National Rail Safety Week|
|September 21st||Operation Clear Track|
|July 14th - 15th||Leadership Conference (virtual)|
|September 29th - October 1st||State Coordinator's Summit|
LA OL Safety Partners
- BNSF Railroad
- CN Railroad
- CSX Transportation
- Driving Safety Academies of Louisiana
- Federal Highway Administration
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
- Federal Railroad Administration
- Kansas City Southern Railroad
- Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development
- Louisiana Highway Safety Commission
- Louisiana Motor Transport Association
- Louisiana Municipal Association
- Louisiana State Police
- Louisiana Steam Train Association
- Louisiana Transportation Research Center/Local Technical Assistance Program
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- National Safety Council, South Louisiana Chapter
- New Orleans and Gulf Coast Railroad
- New Orleans Public Belt Railroad
- New Orleans Regional Traffic Safety Coalition
- Norfolk Southern Railroad
- Northshore Regional Safety Coalition
- Operation Lifesaver, Inc.
- Safety Council of the Louisiana Capital Area
- South Central Planning and Development Commision
- Union Pacific Railroad
LA OL Statistics
|Year||Hwy/Rail Incidents||H/R Fatalities||H/R Inj.||Trespass Fatalities||Tres. Inj.|
Become a Volunteer
Louisiana Operation Lifesaver is always looking for volunteers to educate the public on the dangers of railroad crossings and railroads' rights-of-way. If you are interested in making your community safer, follow the steps below:
- Visit the OLI Volunteers Page
- Complete the OLAV Online Application
- OLI National reviews all applications for approval
- Approved applicants will receive and email containing further instructions
- After a brief face-to-face meeting, you are now an Operation Lifesaver Authorized Volunteer!
LA OL Board Members
The 12-member Louisiana Operation Lifesaver board represents state agencies as well as some of the biggest railroad companies in the state. They work together to make the Operation Lifesaver missions of safety and education a reality.
|James Anderson||LA State Police|
|Jeremy Bush||New Orleans Public Belt|
|Morris Evans||Canadian National|
|Danny Lites||Kansas City Southern|
|Claude Maher||LA Operation Lifesaver|
|P. B. Rivera||BNSF|
|Buck Russel||Union Pacific|